Thursday, February 18, 2010


FCBREDLINE WILL CHANGE THE FACE OF PUBLIC RELATIONS IN NIGERIA

-ESAN SUNDAY, MANAGING DIRECTOR

Esan Sunday is the Managing Director of FCBredline. He started his career as a journalist before moving to the banking sector, where he served as the Head, Media Relations for five years with many awards both for himself and the bank to show for his diligence. Born in the late 60s, Esan Sunday is a graduate of University of Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University, where he studied Literature in English.In an interview with A&B, he revealed his mission to take FCBRedline, a public relations agency to the next level.

Why did you switch from the banking sector a PR agency

The truth is that banking is not as easy as people think. It’s a very difficult job, especially the aspect that I handled. Coming from a background of a journalist, working from 8 am till when you don’t know is what I contended with for the first three years. Unlike journalism, when you work at your pace to deliver, adjusting to the banking lifestyle was really very difficult for me. My tenure in banking was very challenging. In Public relations, it’s a very different ball game .I saw this job as an avenue to really express my passion. My mission in FCBRedline is to give it a complete new face.

What advantage do you think you can add to FCBRedline

I am here to change the face of PR, not only in FCBRedline, but in PR in general in Nigeria. The way I can change it is by being the driver. As the Managing Director here, I can display my prowess on how to get things done in a creative manner with my team. In this PR agency, we are going to be working with cutting edge ideas that will make blue chip brands run to us and our existing clients will not think of an alternative. As far as Public Relations is concerned, we will be a force to reckon with and that is by giving the best value services to our clients. We are going to set the pace for others to follow. I have a very creative team to work with. Achieving all these is no big task and I thank God that the clients on hand are comfortable with our services and these will go a long way to speak for us. In the next one year, by the special grace of God, if any one is talking about PR agency, the first name that will come to his/her lips will be FCBRedline, that’s is where we are going by the special grace of God, because we are focused more than ever before to actualize this. Another thing is that some clients are not helping matters in making things work well in the PR industry, but here, we will give them all the opportunities to express themselves before adding our own idea into their brief.PR is beyond just having a positive story in the media. Adding values to a brand will be the collective work of both the brand developer and the client. Here at FCBRedline, we are ready to give the people the best. The relationship that exists between us and our clients is very cordial. When I was in the banking sector, I usually had problem with the management executives who see media as something that can be toyed with. The relationship that exists between a reporter and his editor can never be compared with what exists between a bank junior staff and his HOD. Coming from journalism background, I know I can relate with my clients very well and that will make them to stay or come to FCBRedline.

With the economic meltdown ravaging the country, how do you intend to win more brands With our superior service delivery, nobody or client will ignore us. We have up to five big brands that we are working with now and it won’t be long for people to see that the home of public relations is here. Sometimes we can go above the brief of the client to further add value to the brands.

So, who will see good values and ignore it. Economic meltdown or not, brand will still search for experts in PR to represent them In as much as that still exists, we are still in the game and we’ll definitely lead. Don’t forget that our business is that of trust and its readily available here. We are going to build an enduring relationship with any client that comes our way. I am so positive about taking FCBRedline to the top. I have never been so positive like this in my life. Definitely, there will be challenges, but we will ignore them since ours is to aggressively take our brand to the greatest height with our clients in mind. FCBRedline will change the face of PR in Nigeria.

If you’re to seek any blue chip brand, which will be your target

I don’t want to mention names, but let’s talk about our strength at FCBRedline. Our strength is enough to drag any blue chip brand to us. It’s actually the way we are handling our existing clients that will impress others. Blue chip brands will definitely come to us. Wait and see what we are about to launch in terms of strategies, then you will acknowledge the fact that we are not here to sleep. When you’re talking about how a brand can be built from the scratch to the top, FCBRedline is the place to come. And if you’re at the top and still wants to remain there, its better you talk to us. Cumulative experience of people we have here can take any brands to the top. I’ll be a failure if I cannot make good use of all the resources at my disposal.

Since your inception as the MD, what has been the working relationship with members of staff and especially with your Chairman Mr. Kolawole Ayanwale

It’s been so cordial and wonderful. My experience was limited when I joined FCBRedline. It was limited in the sense that where I was coming from, I managed just two brands; Oceanic Bank and its MD. But now in FCBRredline I have to manage many brands at the same time, which means I have to listen to the people I am working with. That one is the MD does not make one the most intelligent, so I really need to be carry my team along. I meet people who are focus, intelligent and ready to work.

With Mr. Ayanwale, my chairman, it’s been cordial. He has given me all the free hands I needed to make things work well. So if I don’t perform well, then I am a failure.

Can you tell us how many brands are under your management and their names

The job ethics will not allow me to mention names and number, but I can tell you we mange some in the financial sector, some in the manufacturing, state governments, aviation and others.

Where do you see FCBRedline in the next few yearsIf FCBRedline is not among the best two in the public relations industry I’ll consider myself a failure, I’ll resign and look for another job away from PR industry. I’ll see myself as someone who cannot do good things again. My focus is to take this PR house to its peak. Against all odds, in the next two years, we should be there when you’re talking about the best public relations agency. As I said earlier, I am ready to make a big change in public relations industry.

No comments:

Post a Comment